Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's that time again!

Summer vacation for teachers is coming to a close, and what a summer vacation it's been!

This last spring I won my third Fund for Teachers grant. This time I spent a month in Barcelona, the Capitol of Catalonia in Spain. I went to study the work of the architect Antoni Gaudí and artists Pablo Picasso, Joan Miró, and Salvador Dalí. Specifically, I was looking at their ceramic and mosaic work in anticipation of the 2012-2013 school year. It was an incredible experience.

I traveled to the Pilar i Joan Miró Fundacio and La Seu, the cathedral in Palma de Mallorca, Montserrat, the Salvador Dalí Theatre and Museum in Figueres, the Salvador Dalí House in Port Lligat, Cadaqués, Reus and Girona in my search for material and inspiration for this year's classes. I definitely found what I was looking for.

Our theme for this year is going to be mosaics. We'll be looking at mosaics and murals here in Houston and beyond. We'll be learning about world famous artists and creating incredible artworks.

I'm looking forward to this new school year and having the opportunity to create art with your students. It's going to be a really great year!

No comments: